Residents of Rathinapuri staying next to the godown noticed a huge blaze emanating from the godown on Sunday night.
Coimbatore: A godown storing footwear and a car were gutted in an unexpected fire in Coimbatore after a sparks flying from a Deepavali cracker turned disastrous, setting aflame the warehouse in Rathinapuri in Coimbatore on Sunday night.
According to police sources, Giridhar, 53, a resident of Sivanandha colony owns a footwear shop at Gandhipuram Cross-Cut road and a godown at Rathinapuri where several tonnes of footwear had been stocked.
Residents of Rathinapuri staying next to the godown noticed a huge blaze emanating from the godown on Sunday night. Shocked at the spectacle, they rang up the Rathinapuri police, who in turn alerted the fire brigade.
The latter rushed to the spot and put off the fire. However, the entire stock kept in the godown was gutted in fire and a car parked in front of the warehouse was also gutted in the fire, sources said.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the fire broke out after a rocket cracker burst during Deepavali celebrations last night, and crashed into the godown roof, igniting the fire. Further investigations are on.